Sunday, May 24, 2009

Just One Carpet Bag


"Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag." ~Alexander Solzhenitsyn
When we went to Hong Kong, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia and Australia last summer, I packed what I needed in my backpack. My hair was longer so I pulled it back in a not so flattering ponytail. I wore my walking shoes, packed my flip flops. We were gone for three weeks and I wanted for nothing. I came home with many new people in my heart, new places in my mind. Bill is purging the garage and I must follow suit and purge the cabinets, drawers, and the basement storage closet. I've made many attempts at simplifying. I hope I'm getting better. It's time to purge the classroom, too. I cannot part with any books, but I've pared down the paper and reduced the yarn stash. I'm pretty attached to "stuff" I'm afraid.

No comments:

Followers