Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Monday


Happy Monday. I'm sitting still for a while (I do this a lot, actually) thinking about my trip up to Ft. Collins today. I am going to pick up CB and Finn! They are coming to our house for a few days. Yippee!

Jeff says the bush above looks like it is sneezing! Funny!


Speaking of Jeff (our son who lives with us) he came up with another great quote. It resonates with me for two reasons: 1. I so admire Corrie ten Boom 2. I'm reading When in Doubt, Sing: Prayer in Daily Life.



It's Rainer Cherry time. They are fat, juicy, and scrumptious!










Look how every little thing is growing in the fairy garden. I can't wait for CB and Finn to see it. They'll like playing with the gnomes.





"Peaches" by Monet
I can see why he painted them when I look at my bowl of cherries.


And finally, the reason I've been doing a lot of sitting: this book. It's about an orphan who thinks he would like to be a pastor but in the course of his journey finds himself a town barber. He says he lives his life "in the margins" and he tells his tale in such an inviting, fascinating manner. Well, it made me think about the beauty of land, of farming, of simplicity, of questions we ask of God, of the ministry of presence. It upset my apple cart just a bit, bringing to mind how fast our society is hurling toward . . . something and what is lost and abandoned in the process. The casualties. I highly recommend this book. I'm on the hunt for another Wendell Berry novel soon.


Bill mentioned "reaping what we sow" today and so today I wish to sow love and kindness. I'm positive that reaping THAT will be holy.


13 comments:

Marcie said...

I think you always sow love and kindness Pom Pom. This is a gentle, happy place on the web and I'm glad I can visit you here. I'll send a letter via email soon! In the meantime, I wish you happy days!

Leslie said...

I have to agree, Pom Pom, you do sow kindness, love and grace.
I've wanted to read a Berry book for a while now. I like your description of Jaber Crow. Enjoy your monday!

Anonymous said...

Always.. full of love & kindness.. Your fairy garden looks lovely!!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hi Pom Pom - you certainly do sow love and kindness, the hand of friendship, sharing your faith - I look forward to your posts and often see guidance in your words of wisdom that help me on my own journey x

Anonymous said...

You are love and kindness personified dear Pom Pom. I learn a lot from you my friend. xxx

åslaug abigail said...

Oh, I'm planning on you reaping the fruit of a most loving and encouraging (and oh-so-needed, thankyou!!!) letter that dumped down into my mailbox a *gulp* *blushing* WEEK ago... Watch out for fruit in your mail box a week or so from now =) =)

LOVE to you,
from your very scattered, Norwegian friend...

Vicki said...

Hello, dear Pompom,
Thank you for all the peace and kindness that you sow each and every day. You are a gift to us! Your grandchildren will love the fairy garden. I have a little squirrel that climbs across the wires in my backyard every day, too. Have a lovely day and beautiful week~ Vicki

April said...

That is a great quote, Jeff. I love Corrie ten Boom too.

The dB family said...

You are a wonderful sew-er of love and kindness! Your photos always leave me itching for more!

We went to the library last week and I was going to borrow The Shell Seekers. Can you believe they didn't have it anymore?! Now, I'm going to have to order it from the inter library loan system. I am determined I will read it this summer. Now I have another on to add to my list of must reads.

I wish you a fun-filled week Dear Friend!

Blessings!
Deborah

GretchenJoanna said...

My husband recently read Jayber Crow and now I think he might be ahead of me in the count. I want to read it soon. Hannah Coulter is my daughter's favorite Berry novel; you might try that one. I also love The Memory of Old Jack, which has helped me understand our aging fathers especially.

Have a good time with the grandchildren! I just had our littlest guy for two long days last week and got completely worn out from so much fun. :-)

Bradley W. Maston said...

I love the sneezing bush, just delightful! I'm so thankful the kids are up with you, they haven't stopped talking about it since last week when they found out they were going!xoxo - brad

Gumbo Lily said...

I'm a lover of Corrie ten Boom too. Great quote.

When you mentioned the sneezing bush, I thought, "Yes, that's how I sneeze!"

I am definitely going to check out the Wendell Berry book. Thanks! You ARE a lover of souls, Pom Pom.

Have fun with the grands.

Jody

libbyquilter said...

ha~! a sneezing bush . . . is that the opposite of a burning bush~!?!~ or some kind of cousin . . .

summer fruit is sometimes to beautiful to eat isn't it~!?

will now be looking for Wendell Berry as an author and particularly for Jayber Crow. i've been feeling like settling in with a good read a lot lately.
am currently in the middle of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. it's a charming read but it's just not quite hitting the spot . . . at least not yet.

:-)
libbyQ

Followers