Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Place to Learn

 It's almost the first day of school and after a hot and sweaty afternoon of set up (Bill helped! Whew!) the classroom is ready for the sixth graders! 
 Can you see what is on the back of my chair?  I know my desk looks like a parade float but I like it soft!  Do you want to sit in the reading chair?


 Here's all the wordy stuff!  LOVE!
 Here is where the paraprofessional will sit.  I'm so glad she'll join me every day, first period!
 Last night I sprayed this old dog-chewed stool, so I can sit down while I teach.  I know, lazy.
 Meanwhile, back at home, look at this ambitious hollyhock!
 Look at the zinnias!  They are bright like the colors in a crayon box. 
 And good morning to YOU, Morning Glories!
Here is a smiley face for you!  Thank you for your good wishes and prayers for the first week of school.  I found a very real prayer in my Elizabeth Goudge A Diary of Prayer, written by a nun.  I'll leave it for you.

A Mother Superior's Prayer

Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself that I am 
   growing older, and will some day be old.
Keep me from getting talkative, and particularly from the fatal
  habit of thinking that I must say something on every subject  and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.
Keep my mind from the recital of endless details - give me wings to come to the point.
I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of others' pains.  Help me to endure them with patience.
But seal my lips on my own aches and pains - they are increasing, and my love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet.  I do not want to be a saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old woman is one of the crowning works of the devil.
Make me thoughtful - but not moody; helpful, but not bossy.  With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. 

I'm so glad you stopped by!  May your week roll on the high seas of joy! 

22 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I love your class room, and I would love to be in your class too. It is so beautiful and inviting. I bet your students count their blessing that you are their teacher this year.
I always wondered where this poem first appeared. So glad to know it came from one of my favorite author's Elisabeth Goudge. I love, love her books.I have posted it too because I feel the same way. "I do want a few friends at the end."
You know the year my Mom died I was in sixth grade. Looking at your class room made my heart wish that that year I could have used a class room that comforted my soul.
I will pray that the children God has loaned you for the year, will love your safe haven.
You have blessed me today.
Your flowers are beautiful too,
A giant hug O from me.

April said...

Your room looks great! I wish I could visit. I remember the day I got to come with you to work when I was pregnant with Cadence. That was fun! I like that poem, too.

Leslie said...

That is such a great prayer that resonates with what I want to be, too. I'm going to save that.
Your class room looks so welcoming and cheery. I am picturing your beautiful self in there and know/pray that God is going to bless the work of your hands (and heart).
Hugs and prayers from Texas.
Leslie

Elderberry-Rob said...

A lovely classroom. I like everything, it looks expectant and ready for noise, laughter and fun. Your reading chair looks cosy and I bet when you aren't looking loads of students will try it out. I like your poem, it makes me stop and think so I will read it again later. I am off to the woods again now - I just can't stay away. Bettyx

ann said...

What lucky 6th graders to walk into a cheerful, bright, and happy classroom. They may not want to move on, though. I love the prayer, too, for it helps to reminds us to be kind and less self-absorbed. I start classes tomorrow too; hope I am ready. Have a great year.

Unknown said...

Love your classroom and I can see your children being so encouraged and motivated in it this year.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I wish classrooms had looked this colorful and fun when I was in sixth grade!

Sherry from Alabama said...

Wishing you a great first day back and a wonderful new year! Your classroom is so cheery! Lucky 6th graders!

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Lisa Richards said...

I love your classroom and the nun's prayer! I'll probably be pretty tied up with schoolwork, but I'll try to find the occasional moment to relax and remember all of God's blessings. You too, okay? :)

M.K. said...

Love all those big, roomy desktops! You could really do some coloring there, and essay writing, and pencil tip nibbling :) I adore your plush chair. I want to know what you'll be reading to your students - please share with us as you go.

Gumbo Lily said...

What a cheery classroom. I would have loved to learn in it with a teacher who has angel wings! The banners are so pretty hanging all around and I like the comfy reading chair and the soft desk. The purple stool is smart, I think.

Love, love, love that poem. A friend gave it to me one time and I never knew where it came from. Now I know. It's so true. So true.

Happy First Day of School Tomorrow!

Jody

Gumbo Lily said...

P.S.
The zinnias in color crayon colors are magnificent. I like zinnias. Will some go to school with you to set on the desk?

Jody

The Provincial Homemaker said...

What a gorgeous place for you and the kids to spend the day. Thank you for sharing the prayer too.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully vibrant room you have created. Do hope the year is a success for you and your sixth graders.

no spring chicken said...

Can I come? I'm not kidding when I say I don't want my children to see this post. They will think that they have been completely deprived by not going to school. Of course I'd have to convince them that not every teacher is Pom Pom!

I love the Mary Poppins header. She is the grandest model of caring for children with fun and adventure...

And I think that hollyhock is just a premonition of what your year is going to be. Soaring!

Oh goodness, and that prayer... shouldn't we be required to memorize it when we turn 47? Of course that's assuming that we still have enough faculties for memorization. I'm not feeling very confident at this time. ;{

Blessings, Debbie

Kari of Writing Up A Storm said...

Oh, those lucky children who get to be in your class!! And thank you for A Mother Superior's Prayer: I must make that my chant/mantra for every day. Bless you!! xoxo Kari

Bradley W. Maston said...

Beautiful classroom. Beautiful poem. beautiful Mama. I love you.

Olivia said...

I love that reading chair! x

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love your parade float of a desk and the wonderful warmth of your classroom. What lucky students! I hope you'll tell us about them and tell us about how teaching 6th grade is different from 5th, and let us know what books you're reading. I really can't wait to hear all about it!

xofrances

The dB family said...

I would love to be in your classroom. I think that purple stool would be my favorite thing!

Prayers for you as you make your final preparations!

Blessings!
Deborah

debbie bailey said...

I love this prayer! I, too, don't want to become an old woman who does nothing but talk of aches and pains. I want to keep learning and always maintain my curious nature.

I hope you soon adjust to school life. Your classroom is so cute. I especially love your desk and that comfy reading chair. Lucky kids, your pupils.

Kerri said...

Your classroom is fantastic! So warm and cozy and homey. I bet those kids love you already :)

Followers