Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's Already Wednesday

Soon, sooner than I wish, I have to go back to work. I long to extend my spring break indefinitely and occupy myself with homemaking and creating. I am reading Edith Schaeffer's The Hidden Art of Homemaking. She says, "But - and this needs emphasis - a Christian, above all people, should live artistically, aesthetically, and creatively. We are supposed to be representing the Creator who is there, and whom we acknowledge to be there. It is true that all men are created in the image of God but Christians are supposed to be conscious of that fact, and being conscious of it should recognize the importance of living artistically, aesthetically, and creatively, as creative creatures of the Creator. If we have been created in the image of an Artist, then we should look for expressions of artistry, and be sensitive to beauty, responsive to what has been created for our appreciation." (32)
So what still proves difficult to comprehend is HOW. When I soldier through my school day, I look forward to doing small tasks upon my arrival home, but when I enter my home after an absence of almost ten hours, I just don't have the fuel for it. I am draggy, a little crabby, and I struggle with re-entry, so if Bill and Jeff are home, I do have vision for cooking, but that's all. No dusting, no laundry, no arranging, no tidying up, no knitting or sewing. How CAN I live this life and see "expressions of artistry" and remain "sensitve to beauty" and keep myself awake long enough to "respond to what has been created"? How?

No comments:

Followers