Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Big Scoop of Happy


Hello and welcome to Thursday. I've been up all night. Just when I thought I had skirted my way around jet lag, it has descended and I'm an insomniac lurking around in the dark. Bill and I both woke up so we came downstairs, sat in our old green chairs, had our coffee and a wonderful chat. Then we went back up to bed and before long I could hear Bill doing the sleepy breathe and as snugly as the bed is, I couldn't drift off to sleep. Now I'm looking out the window wishing for light. One thing I learned is that our milk man comes at 1:30 in the morning. Yikes! Our milk would spoil if we weren't such early birds! I graded ten or so papers and now I'll be tired when I have curtains to sew and MORE papers to grade. Oh no!
Enough of that story. Yesterday I was craving some story book images and I found all these pretty pictures for you. The top image can be purchased on a t-shirt! I'm going to order it.

Eloise Wilkin was a heart-y artist, if you ask me. She drew such dreams. I remember studying these illustrations when I was a child and wanting to jump into the book! Even as a young mom, I SO enjoyed studying her portrayals of hearth and home, mother love and family fun. Do any of the pictures here bring forth some "feel good" nostalgia for you?



Easter bonnet! Do you have one yet?

Jane Dyer draws and paints gorgeous images. Look at the colors, the hair, the face, and the flowers. Doesn't it satisfy your hunger for pretty?


I had to include this image below. I remember looking at my little Hansel and Gretel Golden Book over and over and over again. I loved the cold shivers that the picture of the witch brought to my little self. Her fingers creeped me out in such a delicious way!


More Jane Dyer. Don't you love her use of color? The yellow and orange polka dot dress makes this bear look so beautiful!


She somehow finds the perfect shade of blue for overalls!


Isn't this little slumber party scene scrumptious? I wish it made me a little more sleepy. I'm going outside to signal the sunrise. I see the light moving in now and I'm happy to hear a bird singing. I foresee a cozy reading induced nap on my schedule.
I hope you have some heart warming surges of contentment today.

22 comments:

Gigi said...

What great images! Eloise W. is my all time favorite illustrator. I even used to dress my kids like the children in her illustrations -- is that too much ;-)?!
Hope you get some rest!
Blessings,
G

Jessica Lynn said...

Hi Pom Pom,
Insomnia is no fun! I'm acquainted well with those wee small hours. Thankfully, not so much lately. I do hope that you get some rest and relaxation today!

I love all of these illustrations. One of my all time favorite illustrators is Eloise Wilkins. All of her illustrations are so homey and comforting. We have quite a collection of her books and reading them to my children is extra special. The images are as familiar to me as an old friend. You have done a magnificent job capturing all of my favorites in your collage!

I have been out of the loop for a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to reading all about your wonderful trip to Australia.

xx

Elizabethd said...

Jet lag takes ages to get out of your system, I'm afraid!

The dB family said...

Isn't Eloise Wilkins's art the sweetest. Those darling little faces! I do believe we have some of Jane Dyer's artistry too!

I hope your body rights itself again soon and you're able to catch up on your sleep!

Hugs and blessings!
Deborah

magsmcc said...

After some days with bounding boys these images are soothing indeed. Even the witch has managed to banish the boy from the scene! I haven't resorted to fattening them up in cages yet, but I'm definitely taking refuge in other people's content bloggism! Camomile tea?

GretchenJoanna said...

I was awake--maybe with you--for hours last night, too. But our computer is right by the bed now, so I couldn't join you online. :-)

I recognize at least one of those E.W. pictures from The Little Book, one I never tired of reading to my children. It is still here for reading to grandchildren. She captures the best of childhood.

Lisa Richards said...

Two of my favorite illustrators! I love collecting children's books mostly for the beautiful illustrations. I hope someday to use them as models for my own sketching practice. The Lord gifted me with so many solitary interests such as reading and drawing, but gave me a very sociable hubby. The two do not mix well! LOL! But I do draw occasionally and love to peruse the lovely children's books now and then.
Hope you get some sleep and get back in the right time zone!
Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Precious pictures, Pom-Pom. Her work looks very familiar to me. Thanks for the sweet comment you left me on my blog.

Gumbo Lily said...

I do so love Eloise Wilkin's art and books. I even bought myself a Eloise Wilkin treasury book because I love her so much. (I bought the grandgirl one so she could fall in love with the pictures too.) I especially like the pictures of the children helping their parents bake or clean or work in the garden.

Hoping you get "on schedule" soon.
Love,
Jody

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Adore these images...how wonderful to share them with us.
Sorry about the not sleeping ...not a good night. Can not believe you have a milkman and he comes in the middle of the night. lol...Gosh refresh me where you are from...we have not had milk men for 30 years..lol
Love
Maggie

Leslie said...

These are sweet pictures. I especially adore the last one with the bed. That is certainly a scene I can relate to. Even now with teens. :)

I hope you get caught up on your sleep. I like how you embraced you insomnia. And you have a milkman? I want one!

debbie bailey said...

You have a milkman? I thought those were a thing of the past. I want one.

SuKnitWitty said...

Oh, that face under the Easter Bonnet! Precious! I'm smiling about the Milkman....we had one growing up...came as we were having breakfast...on the dot. I'll have to post about that...thanks for the reminder! Take 2 Tylenol PM and BlogMe in the AM...Sue

Unknown said...

Hi Pom Pom,

These lovely and colorful images do remind of of simpler times, quieter times and childhood memories.

May your body schedule return to that of your current time zone. It's been ages since I stayed up all night but I'm usually up before the sun is so I still get the pleasure of a good sunrise and bird chirping session. Aren't they delicious?

Wishing you and yours a very happy Easter weekend.

xoxo
~Kitty Kellie

melanie said...

Gorgeous images, I adore them xxx

libbyquilter said...

a delightful post and yes, it certainly does prompt happy memories of settling down with a book as a child.

the artwork is too beautiful to outgrow though isn't it~!?!~

:)
libbyQ

Kari of Writing Up A Storm said...

This brought back so many memories! That picture of the little girl in the kitchen with her mother, baking cookies, is just the essence of childhood. But I love how you added the Hansel and Gretel illustration to these perfect-childhood scenes, because these scary fairytales are so important to childhood, too. They make "in the kitchen with mother" seem so much safer by comparison! xo Kari

Kari said...

This brought back so many memories! That picture of the little girl in the kitchen with her mother, baking cookies, is just the essence of childhood. But I love how you added the Hansel and Gretel illustration to these perfect-childhood scenes, because these scary fairytales are so important to childhood, too. They make "in the kitchen with mother" seem so much safer by comparison! xo Kari

Kari said...

This brought back so many memories! That picture of the little girl in the kitchen with her mother, baking cookies, is just the essence of childhood. But I love how you added the Hansel and Gretel illustration to these perfect-childhood scenes, because these scary fairytales are so important to childhood, too. They make "in the kitchen with mother" seem so much safer by comparison! xo Kari

GwendolynKay said...

Sweet story pictures. You have a milk man? I didn't know there was still such a person! How charming.
Blessings always!
Gwen

Kerri said...

Such beautiful illustrations! The first one takes me right back to my childhood, so I wonder if I had a book with this picture in it. Such an adorable little girl. I love her pigtails and chubbiness!

Beth Niquette said...

I loved those books as a child. I still have some of them.

What a delightful lovely post this is. I enjoyed ever moment.

Followers