Sunday, October 31, 2010

Good Reads, Halloween, and Hair


Hi Everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome back! I want to tell you about all the books I read while relaxing away in Oahu.
I have mentioned how much I love Anne Tyler. Still adore floating through her stories, getting all attached to her unique characters.

This is a fascinating story about modern day church. I don't want to say too much, but if you read it I'd love to discuss!

Jane Brocket is a really smart writer. This book is a warm jump back to your childhood literary loves. It'll make you want to reread Little Women, The Little Princess, Pippi Longstocking, and many more classics and then . . . you can do what the characters do and eat what the characters eat! It's a gem! (Applause!)

I kept reading about this book. Wow. I am astounded that Elizabeth Strout could invite me to take so many different looks at this character. I couldn't put it down. LOVED it.

Here is one of my hippie bracelets.

And the other. Sorry about the skin that looks in great need of nourishment.


We went over to Kelli's house for trick or treating, so I thought I'd take a few pretty pictures of pretty things there.










The girls were so proud of their jack-o-lanterns! Birdie said, "It was A LOT of work!"


Here is little Sam the skeleton with her fairy wings!



Wilbur is growing fatter.


Roasted pumpkin seeds! YUM!

Bug and her pumpkin!

Kelli's house all glowing!



trick or treaters!

Sleeping Beauty is thrilled with her bucket of sweets!

Finally, the hair. I'm still not used to it. Sorry about the cheesy smiles.




Well, I'm very happy to see you! Thank you for coming by. Bye bye, October and hello November! The weather here is unseasonably warm and the trees and skies are incredible. This is a happy fall.
I wish you a happy Monday. I have a sneaking suspicion that my Monday in the classroom may be a little shaky. Kids have had a whole week off and a Halloween of late night candy gathering. Mondays are always a bit iffy anyway. I'll let you know how it goes. Guess what? I didn't get the stories graded. YIKES! Bye bye! We'll talk again soon.

20 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh fun Halloween. I love seeing the kids all dressed up and having such fun. Kelli's house does have lots of "pretties" doesn't it? I especially like the transferware.

Your hair is cute, cute, cute!

Jody

Kelli said...

Bryan said, "your mom is busy!" He was quite impressed at how quick the turnaround was on these pics to the blog. ;)
What is Olive Kitteridge about? The cover is pretty. Maybe I will borrow it to read in my "free time"... :)
I really do love the rosy red color. I should start forcing myself to enjoy tea so we can sit and enjoy tea on those pretty dishes once you're retired and I'm a home mom will all my babes in school. :) Many moons from now, but something for us to look forward to. <3

Anonymous said...

Your haircut is sooo cute! And I love your new header picture too!

Have a blessed week!
Sharon

Elderberry-Rob said...

Wow, the hair is lovely - I think it really suits you. I love that you have enjoyed Halloween without it having any 'unwelcome' elements - I had a lovely time too with my family on Saturday, but my Church are completely against any sort of acknowledgement and have told me in the past not to have my decorations. This Sunday's service was awful as it referred to this and also to the TV coverage of Halloween which of course we were advised to avoid - and by Sunday afternoon I had taken everything down. Time to make a few more 'alternative Sunday' visits perhaps! Anyway, glad you have had a lovely holiday and it's great that you're back. xxx

Lynn said...

I am SO glad the grading went ungraded! Holidays are for holidaying! Love the hair - you look so young :)
A lovely post.
Prayers for Monday.
L.x.

Elizabethd said...

I love the new haircut!

Kerri said...

The hair is looking good! It's such a pretty colour too x

melanie said...

Hiya, Firstly Pom Pom, let me just say your hair is fab and you look gorgeous, glowing, radiant, you really suit that hairstyle, and the red lippy :)
I am interested in reading the church book, can I just ask, is it saying you should go to church, or theres no need to, I am interested in finding this out :) xxxx

A garden just outside Venice said...

I love your new look! Add a pait of big earrings now!
Happy Monday
xxx

Leslie said...

You are beautiful! I love your haircut...it is very flattering. You have great coloring, sparkly eyes and the straightest teeth ever. Seriously...not just saying this.

A skeleton with fairy wings is so right up my alley. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Bradley W. Maston said...

Happy Halloween! What a wonderful time you had! I'm glad that you got lots of good readings in! Love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Wow all sounds great. And she is the cutest pink skeleton fairy I've ever seen, hee hee!

Gigi said...

Lots of great photos, but best of all is yours! You look so pretty and I love your hair & red lipstick.
Thanks for the book recommendations -- I'm always looking for something good to read. And I don't have Jane B.'s new book yet -- maybe you should have a 'give away' -- remember -- hee hee?
Blessings,
G

Left-Handed Housewife said...

First, I love Anne Tyler, too, and I really enjoyed Olive Kitteridge. It wasn't the book I was expecting, but I thought it was really good. Have you read any other of Elizabeth Strout's books? I think I've read all of them.

Two: I love your hair! In fact, I'm thinking of getting a cut very similar to it. I'm tired of this bob thing I've got going on. Short hair is so chic!

Thanks for the pictures of your lovely ones--they're adorable, as always!

xofrances

The dB family said...

I think your new 'do is stunning on you! You look gorgeous! I hope your Monday went well despite the sugar that I'm sure accompanied the children. What sweetlings your grandbabies are! Love the round entryway in the one photo. So pretty!

Blessings to you, my friend!
Deborah

debbie bailey said...

Hi, Pom Pom! I have that book about not wanting to go to church but haven't read it yet. And Olive Kitteridge is on my list to read. I'll have to move it closer to the top since you say it's so good.

Kari of Writing Up A Storm said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. I love Anne Tyler, too! And I love all your little trick-or-treaters and your haircut, too!! The deafening tumult of our house repair is in full swing. It sounds like warfare going on under the house. Four-maybe five days, they say, and then the roof, the attic, the painting, the floor. I can't really think with so much going on. I'm holding on to such a tiny thread of faith these days. I hope to find my way back to my blog. Thank you for being here. xo Kari

magsmcc said...

Oh I missed you very much and have been too busy to read anybody since you got back! But here we are- I'll raise a cup of English tea to your return- delighted to ahve the book recommendations, especially the Anne Tyler, and the church title made me laugh out loud- that's a Christmas stocking possibility for a certain worship leader I know! Love the hair, Pom, very beautiful. As are you! No glitz or glamour required!

libbyquilter said...

oh your haircut is so-o cute~!!~
and you have the brightest smile and twinkliest eyes~!!~ wonderful wonderful you~!!~

:-)
libbyQ

Jessica Lynn said...

Hey There Gorgeous! Love the hair & the red lipstick. Fab. Can't wait to check out all of your book recommendations. You have great literary taste, well just great taste ;) What cuties. Looks like you had a wonderful Halloween! Thank you so for stopping by my very erratic blog. Your support means so much to me! I'm actually sending this to you from my new iPod touch! It's so exciting. Revolutionizing my life and the way that I'm able to keep with my favorite blogs. With one computer in the house it's a race to see who will get there first;)

Followers