Monday, March 4, 2013

A Taste of Spring

 I need a wee break from all the Willows hoopla.  I hope you don't mind.  
We had some warm breezes and temps this weekend.  Even though the temps will drop a bit this week, I still smell (and dream of) spring.  I like it when we spring ahead with our clocks, because then there is more time in the day for walking with my camera.  After the state test at school has commenced (oh, happy day!) we'll play with poetry for two more weeks.  After that, I shall have spring break!  Yahoo!  We are staying home and planning the garden.  Bliss!




 I've been doodling and drawing in my little journal and I have that "create bright pages" urge going on now.  Do you have some art supplies beckoning you to the art table?
 Our dry air does not lend itself to plentiful and juicy nasturtiums, but we plant them anyway.  You can eat them, you know.  I am planning pots and beds of this generous bloom. 
When spring arrives for keeps, we'll have lilacs all over the neighborhood.  Wouldn't you love a big sniff of a lilac clipping about now?

On Saturday,  I made some chicken salad for breakfast.  I cut up a grilled chicken breast, an apple, threw in a few cashews and some crisp leftover bacon in a bowl with that good olive oil mayo.  That was a very tasty meal.  Today I shall put a pot roast in the crock pot with onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom, too.  It's so old-school and SO tasty. 

I went to get a haircut, finally.  My sometimes hairdresser did not want to cut off my ponytail.  He's funny.  When I wear my hair down, I look like I have a cape on my head, so a ponytail it is, for the time being.  What do you think about your hair at the moment?  I am pretty sure it's better not to think of hair too much. 

Nancy posted about Alan Dart and his sweet patterns.  Do you know about him?  If you want to knit a little whimsy, you should check out Nancy's post and then go along to Alan's site.  I subscribe to the UK Simply Knitting JUST so I can get Alan Dart patterns.  

I am watching Lark Rise to Candleford again.  I could watch all day.  I love Queenie and I love  Dorcas.  They are my favorites.  

It's off to school now.  I pray that I will remember to stay steady and true.  We bump up against groups of people we know, as well as strangers, for a reason.  Do you agree?

More of the annotated pink edition of The Wind in the Willows will come soon.  Mr. Badger is just about ready to wing his way to Mags.

Thank you for clicking by!  xo


21 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Spring, oh yea! Lilacs and outside sitting with a cuppa coffee, yea times two.

I have been rewatching The Vicar od Dibley series...thanks for the reminder of Clarkrise.

Elizabethd said...

I do love the look and the scent of Lilacs. I had a beautiful white one in our last garden.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love the scent of lilacs and wish i had some growing in my yard. In May, we'll have honeysuckle, which is my favorite smell of all.

This weekend it's supposed to be in the 60s. I will be in bliss!

xofrances

libbyquilter said...

nasturtiums are one of my favorites and i hope to plant lots of them too . . . and sweet peas . . . and sunflowers . . . and pansies . . . and petunias . . . and YES~!!~lots of flowers~!

maybe spring break will be full of sunshine and blue skys for you. i hope so.

:-)
libbyQ

Farm Girl said...

As always I enjoy popping in for a visit I am so glad you will be planting a garden for spring. It sounds like a fun thing to do on Easter vacation. Oh hair cut, it is just pony tail around here for now.
Your chicken salad for breakfast sounds wonderful.
I like your taste of spring. Have a lovey week!

TexWisGirl said...

i like your blast of spring.

(do you know you have word verification required on your comments?)

magsmcc said...

Oh look at that apple cosy. The project I'm working on right now is using the last scraps of that yarn- I'd forgotten that I sent you the rainbow one. How appropriate for the rainbow that is you! Hooray for Spring and colour and light x

M.K. said...

Spring is on her way, Pom! I do long for a nice whiff of lilac bloom, but I don't believe we have lilacs here in the very-warm south. We had huge ones in Iowa - sigh :)
I had a new watercolor set, and yes it is calling to me. So is my piano. But the yarn is calling loudest - haha! Your recipes sound yummy.

I cut about 2 inches off my hair a bit ago, because it was getting TOO long. I am familiar with the "cape effect" of which you speak :) I put mine in a back barrett often, to prevent that. I miss Lark Rise. I esp. miss Queenie. What a dear woman! Perhaps I shall go reindulge. Love to you!!

Bonnie said...

Your post made my long for spring. Today is sunny and "warm-ish" and the piles of snow are starting to melt. Your apple cozy and nasturtiums make me smile.

Lisa Richards said...

I'm glad you opted to tell us about the goings on in your life today! The Willows are so much fun, but one does appreciate them more after a brief break! :)

I think planning a garden is the best part. I am so woefully undisciplined when it comes to carrying through on weeding, etc.

Your chicken salad sounds DEE-licious!

I admire all of you knitters. I've been taking a peek at M.K.'s knitted chickens! What a concept!

I've never watched Lark Rise to Candleford, but I'll have to now! Is it available on YouTube?

I bought new running shoes today so I would be committed to walking/jogging as soon as the snow melts. I'm drawing them in pencil and then I'll try either colored pencil or watercolors to capture their vivid colors. :)

Blessings, art buddy!

Kit said...

Oh Larkrise! I love love this show. My favs are Emma and Zillah. So sorry to see it cancelled. Kit

Attic Clutter said...

good luck ..
with the tests...will be nice when you get your Spring break Pom(:)

Anonymous said...

Alan Dart once replied to an email I sent him, asking him for some advice. He's a nice man! :)

Spring will soon be here, hooray! xx

Leslie said...

My hair is a mess and I think that is just how it was meant to be. We hit a record high yesterday of 88. It was hot! Guess it won't be long until we hit that and more every day.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lovely Pom pom, sorry Ive not been to visit you for a little while,i ve been out of blogland for a little rest,but missed You and have some lovely catching up to do on the willows :o)
I can hardly wait for spring and the smell of all of the flowers...Its been a glorious day here today and i've spent a little while pottering about and tidying up.Hearing the birds churping,bliss.
I hope your keeping well lovely? take care love juliexxx

Gumbo Lily said...

I would love to inhale the fragrance of a lilac clipping right now. We had snow and wind and cold this past couple of days. Brrrr. I'm ready for spring. Maybe some spring showers!

~Jody

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hooray for spring break! I know you are looking forward to that. Your chicken salad breakfast sounds truly scrumptious. Hair - I'm fighting the urge to chop it all off again. it's halfway down my back. As long as I keep doing nothing about it, however, it'll keep on growing so I think that's what I'll do!! Yes, I often wear it in a ponytail, not a high one but a low one...is there a different name for that? i don't know. This is a rambling comment . .. still in love with those polka dot high heels in your background too! I saw someone on the news yesterday who was in Denver and there were huge snowflakes swirling around just outside the big window behind him. Wow!

Kaye Swain said...

Hi, I popped over from Floss' Pause in Lent. Oh how lovely your spring weather plans look. We just had a late snow storm and my poor senior mom sighed, " I just opened the gardening catalog!" But those activities will come soon for us too, hopefully. : Have a blessed and beautiful week. :)

Pom Pom said...

Thank you for coming by! I am looking at blue sky just now! Hooray!

no spring chicken said...

True to Pom Pom's style my head is swimming and I am smiling.. What to do first? Shall I make chicken salad? Pull out the sketchbook? Plan my garden? Check out the pattern link? I've never watched Lark Rise to Candleford. I should PROBABLY get the haircut but we won't even talk about that!

Blessings, Debbie

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

you just made me smile...from beginning to end of this post...blessings on state test and enjoy your spring break

Followers